A day at the Beach





It was a nice day at the beach
I stood still, fiddling with the soft breeze
Searing, vidid streaks of light,
Pierced through my eyes
Painfully forcing my eyelids to glide open
I capture a solitary wave curls,
That turned the sunlight to shards
I smirked at the sweet justice of the wave
that braced my pain with all its might

As I coalesced the pieces on the silent horizon,
A man, arms thrashing, mirrored back 
Swallowed by the merciless sea,
His screams merge with the salt wind.

I looked around and I saw faces, twenties and tens of faces 
A gallery of stillness,
Lines etched in cold unchanging reveries,
Eyes vacant, reflecting the abyss.

I stand with my voice torn,
Screaming against the indifferent sky,
My cries dissolve in the vast expanse.
Nothing reverberates, nothing moves in sync

"HELP! HELP! THAT MAN IS DROWNING!"

Pointing my finger as sharp as a dagger
In hopes it aims at the devouring waves

Sunbathers gazes anchor, unyielding,
Lips sealed, hearts sealed,
A congregation of voiceless stone.

I run to the shore, his tilted head keeps getting closer and closer
His coarse gasps are sharper than the wave

Fear presses my chests
"How can I save you?!", I cry
My breath turns to ice,
Words choke in the hollow of my throat,
I am suffocating in their silence.

Wait a minute! 
People are moving, talking and crowding
A flashing light covers my sight
Then, the lifeguard emerges
With a phone in his hand

"Oh my God! That's horrible!"," What is going on?", 
"someone save that man!", "he must've fell off a smuggling boat", 
"my child is scared", "who gobbles a whole watermelon and goes to swim?", 
The yatters are getting louder.
Louder than my hoarse screams and the man's chokes


His hand reaches to the top,
Fingers like white specters,
Clutching at the floating green sepals,
slipping away.

His head sinks deeper and deeper
The rising tide pushes me away
Each wave a final whisper,
A reminder of the Shahada 
As the liquid black spreads wider.

I find myself at the shore,
Laid down like the Statue of Liberty,
Silent as the ocean’s grave.

The sun was still red and large
What I thought was blinding me, actually opened my eyes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Anxiety of Waiting

Writer's Block and My New Favorite Person

Streaming on the Game of Trust