Untitled0001

 



Do you want to make me or break me?

The million flesh-ravenous faces you show me

To spark a flame around my fist

My crude fist of dawn when blood hasn’t yet

boiled to let me see with clarity

if you want to make me or break me

The bulging surges that swirl around you

entice the child  over the adult at times

and you become just a game of fun

No winning or losing, no lesson learned or man-crafting

& at times, the wise unravels the absurd

You make life lessons be drawing a smile over my face

In awe; do you want to make me or break me?

Just like life you are solid, muscle-wounding and bone-breaking

As many faces you mirror, primitive tears fell down

Testing courage and disparaging strength

Affirming one last ground

Never trust a rebound of your own made

For the most menacing opponent of self is oneself

Then again, what do I know? I’m just a child chasing salience

Thinking in a fatigued soul’s words

Before I embody the fresh energy of life

That my early years let the rebound slip

Even so, you took the punches I am ought to flip

In disbelief of facing my innocence with no care

To build me for a ruthless future and look

I haven’t yet tied up my fist and there you are

Shaking by a soft breeze and you claim

To make me not break me


Poem: Zainab Lunar
Photo by: Youssef Nakkach
Olive Writers Poetry Club

Comments

  1. You excelled yourself in this one. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Oh you stopped by, say hi! 💜

Popular posts from this blog

The Anxiety of Waiting

Not in vain